Parish Church of San Verano
The Parish Church of San Verano was built in the center of the town in an anomalous position for a medieval parish church, which were usually erected outside the town walls. Yet, it sits here, as if it is willing to make its religious authority explicit, and it overlooks the countryside of the Valdera area. Built between the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th century, it is dedicated to Verano from Cavaillon, a Provençal bishop of the 6th century, the patron saint of the town. It is said that the holy bishop, passing through Peccioli on his journey to Rome, freed the village from the plague. The church features a façade with five blind arches in a Pisan-Romanesque style; inside are paintings by the 17th century Florentine painter Jacopo Vignali and a Madonna with Child and Saints by Neri di Bicci (1464); the interior hosts the Museum of Sacred Art, with the most significant works in the area, including a Madonna and Child from the first half of the 12th century by Enrico di Tedice and a reredos depicting St. Nicholas, made by Michele di Baldovino in the second half of the 13th century. Under the façade of the church is a work of contemporary art by Vittorio Corsini: hundreds of gazes of people from Peccioli, photographed and reproduced on rectangular panels of various sizes.
Inside the parish church, in the Chapel of the Assumption, is the Museum of Sacred Art.